SPJ 2016-2017 Scholarships
Deadline: April 22 at 5 p.m.
Four scholarships are available for Washington state journalism students, so please spread the word! Find out more and view past recipients at spjwash.org. The scholarships for the 2016-2017 school year include:
- Two SPJ Western Washington Pro chapter scholarships of $4,500 each to undergraduates majoring in journalism or communications at two-year or four-year colleges in Washington
- One June Anderson Almquist Memorial Scholarship for $3,500 offered to a female undergraduate student majoring in journalism at University of Washington
- One Gala Scholarship sponsored by the SPJ Western Washington Pro chapter and a Washington state media outlet that goes to a deserving Washington state journalism student. This scholarship is based on gala fundraising and will be at least $2,500.
AAJA Stanford Chen Grant
Deadline: May 1
The Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA) typically reaches out to schools in the pacific northwest for this grant, as Stanford Chen worked extensively in the region and the grant selection committee prefers awarding grants to students in your area. The $1,750 grant is available to current juniors, seniors and graduate students who have secured a journalism internship this summer. The purpose of the grant is to help offset costs for these students’ living expenses during their internship period. Students can find more information and the online application here. Note, AAJA welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds, not just Asian American students.
Department of Communication’s general application
Deadline: May 2
Every Spring quarter, the Department of Communication helps award dozens of various scholarships. Some are awarded based on need or academic merit, while others are based on personal interests (there’s even one for car enthusiasts!). See the full list at com.washington.edu. There’s one simple application to fill out for all of the scholarships. You can find it here: https://catalyst.uw.edu/webq/survey/comsch/297755
Public relations scholarships available
Deadline: May 13
Applications are now being accepted for Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) Puget Sound’s two scholarship funds:
- The Sally Heet Memorial Scholarship and the Horace
- The Susie Revels Cayton Scholarship
Both are awarded annually at $3,500 each – to students who are entering their junior or senior years and are pursuing careers in public relations. Eligible students are encouraged to apply! Since both scholarship applications require transcripts, students should allow one to two weeks to complete all of the requirements. Online applications are available under the “Students” section of the PRSA Puget Sound website at www.prsapugetsound.org.