SPJ UW will elect 2015-2016 leaders, at 6 p.m. May 7 in COM 302. Here’s the meeting agenda:
Elections: Candidates will each have two minutes to tell members why they should be elected. Interested in running? Prepare a short statement and make sure you’re a registered SPJ member. Here’s more about open positions:
- President: Organize chapter events and oversee members.
- VP: Work with president to organize events and recruit members. Learn president’s duties to take over next year.
- Treasurer: Oversee budgets, accounts and financial statements. Handle deposits from fundraising events and reimburse officers for club expenses.
- Secretary: Record minutes from each meeting and set agendas. Assist with social media and event promotion.
- Student representative (appointed): Works with president and board members of the Western Washington pro chapter to coordinate events between students and professionals.
SPJ speed-date: Students met one-on-one with professional mentors in this speed-dating-style networking event, organized by SPJ UW and the Western Washington professional chapter to bring students.
This year, we’ll tour Seattle PI, then sit down with mentors from 7 to 9 p.m. May 27. During the meeting, we’ll brainstorm which mentors we’d like to hear from and talk about next steps.
Excellence in Journalism scholarships: Each year, SPJ UW offers scholarships for members to attend the Society of Professional Journalists’ annual national conference. This year’s event is Sept. 18 to 20 in Orlando.