Register now for the Washington Collegiate Journalism Conference, happening from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. this Saturday, Oct. 11, in the University of Washington communications building.
Sponsored by the Society of Professional Journalists Western Washington and University of Washington chapters, the day-long workshop series invites journalism students from colleges and universities around the state to build valuable skills and network with journalism professionals.
The conference features a keynote panel on covering the Oso mudslide with journalists from The Daily Herald in Everett and speakers including (in order of sessions):
- Monica Guzman, columnist for The Seattle Times, GeekWire and president of the Society of Professional Journalists Western Washington chapter
- Greg Rasa, editor at The Seattle Times
- Ross Reynolds, public radio host for KUOW.
- Diana Kramer, publisher of The Daily of the University of Washington
- Robert McClure, executive director of Seattle-based, non-profit investigative journalism studio InvestigateWest
- Kellie Cheadle, KING 5 content manager
- Taylor Soper, GeekWire reporter and recent University of Washington graduate
- Jillian Stampher, BreakingNews.com associate editor and recent University of Washington graduate
- Rachel Lerman, Puget Sound Business Journal reporter and recent Western Washington University graduate
Sessions include digital media ethics, interviewing, public records, SEO and headlines, broadcast principles, a student newsroom roundtable and navigating the job market.
Cost is $15 for SPJ members, $20 for all others. We’ll provide pizza for those who register before the conference. Buy tickets online.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.